Skip to main content

Updates on that last reclist thing I talked about, I think

First off, I wrote it, in full (probably). But there's a bit more to it than "I wrote it", I did a lot more than just that. I wrote it in such a way that you could oto it like TCVVC AND use a base oto + a guide bgm on 95% of it, like the fucking maniac I am. Not just that, but I included significantly more consonant clusters, because it's small enough to do that now. It is 362 recordings long, last I checked. I am currently doing chain recording testing.

Horrifying caveats

Cool now that you all think it's good based off of the post preview, I can deliver the cold, hard truth: the reclist itself is not finished yet, particularly the single-recording section, which is about 87 recordings probably. This part is particularly hard to complete because I literally just have to be like, while using a voicebank "damn I really wish I had this particular vowel combination / consonant ending", which is difficult because I hate thinking.

I also have no idea how well the "dd" consonant is gonna work with cv because, well, it only sounds good sometimes in cv in Japanese, and even only sounds decent w/ my semi-vcv shit after like extensive testing. BUT to be fair, I did manage, after a lot of work, to make it sound good in both scenarios in recent times by simply not being afraid of the transitional vowel. Here's some examples I guess?

With UrinList (CVTC):


And with TCVVC English (the segmented reclist, which I wanna phase out of):


I also desperately want to add a massive set of consonants because I realized every syllable sounds like the start of a word because of how English consonant tensing/laxing works (and my reclist does not accommodate for this much).

Also, I accidentally lied about it taking a long time. It did not take a long time. It took, like, 2 hours and me being incredibly manic. This probably does not count as a "horrifying caveat" but probably none of this does, because I'm talking about something so trivial that probably only 3 people including myself are gonna see it.

A singular drop of good news i think

The parts I think aren't finished aren't going to be hard to add.

TCVVC compatibility is so tight I could literally make a tool to convert the aliases. You'd still have to oto but you'd have, like, a dupe oto of the starting consonant, you probably couldn't even tell if you had changed it or not when mixed into a song (should probably count as a bad thing tbh), unless you're particularly attentive. Doing this would also definitely not break the oto limit for a voicebank with under 9 pitches, probably more even, but I'm math illiterate so please don't get your hopes up lol.

Anyways

I don't have any more real updates on this. Wish I had a solid example of what I'm doing, but all I have is the reclist itself, which is very untested outside of the Japanese version already being released (unless I forgot lmaooo) and working like perfectly fine, and the much larger, more segmented version of this reclist is stupidly good-sounding.

Also, I hope the start of your year is going well (hopefully better than mine)!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mandatory "I'm making a singing synth" pre-post post

I was writing something about this but it got too wordy. Don't get me wrong, I want to give you all as many details as possible, but I care very much about being understood and consistent about things (as ironic as that sounds) so I thought I'd give a very short introductory post about it instead of bombarding anyone who would potentially read this with useless information. Cool, now that that's out of the way, I am making a singing synth. I am writing the back end (the actual synth part) in Python. I have no current plans of creating a front end but I have a few options as to how I'm gonna get started on that that I'll update on in the probably very distant future. I have a shitty demo: Here's a copy of the description on SoundCloud, which goes over pretty much everything you'd need to know about it: i completely forgot to post this on here i've been making jokes about it on twitter for the past few months but here's some highlights

Generic Yearly Life Update

It's not, like, terribly unusual for me to disappear for months \ years at a time on here, but I thought I'd give at least a little update as to what I've been doing and what I have NOT been doing because I don't really want to leave anyone hanging, in the event that anyone has been keeping up with my posts.